Planning a Trip to Disneyland
published on: 2/28/2003
Contributing Teacher(s): Nora Hinson
Subject Area: Math/Number Sense- Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide, Estimate, Algebra
- To allow students to apply basic skills to budget, calculate time, estimate, and access the Internet for information.
Instructional Strategy: Prior Knowledge & Connections
- Goal 1.4 use technological tools and other resources to locate, select and organize information
- Goal 3.2 develop and apply strategies based on ways others have prevented or solved problems
- Mathematics 1. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; other number sense, including numeration and esti...
- Mathematics 2. Geometric and spatial sense involving measurement (including length, area, volume), trigonometry, ...
- Ma - NO - 3 - C - 08
(Number and Operations
Time Allowance: 2-3 fifty-minute periods
Description: An Internet activity for basic algebra and essential math students to plan, estimate, and calculate the cost of a trip to Disneyland.
The student will create a six-day trip that will be timely and economically efficient. The cost of gasoline, hotel accommodations, and ticket prices to Disneyland for two days must be included and not exceed $800 (amount may need to be modified depending on starting location).
- Create a detailed trip diary including roadways, mileage, and estimated time of the trip.
- The cost of gasoline for the entire trip has to be calculated. Assume the car being used gets 21 mpg and has a 20-gallon capacity tank.
- A list of hotels needs to be submitted with the price for each night included.
- A food budget must be included (three meals a day).
- The total cost of the trip, including the tickets to Disneyland has to be calculated and less than $800.
The route from Owensville to Anaheim, CA
The mileage and estimated time are listed with breaks for rest, gas, and food.
The mileage and estimated time of the trip is listed.
A travel log is not submitted or incomplete.
Estimated Cost of Gasoline
The cost of gasoline is accurate using the average cost of gasoline, and with locations where gas was purchased.
The cost of gasoline is accurate using the average cost of gasoline.
The cost is not calculated or incorrect.
Lodging facilities are listed along with address and price, and directions from the main route.
Lodging facilities are listed with their price.
Lodging facilities are not listed.
Each meal is listed and includes the cost. The food budget includes the location of facility.
Each meal is listed and includes the estimated cost.
Meals and cost are not listed or incomplete.Cost of Trip
The cost of the trip is itemized with a budget sheet included and under $800.
The cost of the trip is itemized and under $800.
The cost of the trip is not calculated.
For additional information contact :
Gasconade Co. R-II
- Ma - NO - 3 - C - 08